In the winter months I spend more time indoors and working at my home office – especially as I prepare for the coming new year. So I usually take the opportunity to declutter, reorganize, and update my home office study area at this time. This year after the flooding we experienced, it is especially a great time to sort through the clutter and only put back what is truly needed.
- Start With a Clean Slate – Sometimes you have to take everything off and out and evaluate every item from scratch. It’s amazing the extra books, broken organizers, and duplicate or out-dated items that get gathered up in an office area. I’ll be honest, I am obsessed with office supplies so it can be easy to get a little bit carried away sometimes.
- Toss Anything Outdated or Unecessary – Do you really need all those magazines, newspapers, and old memo pads? Maybe and maybe not. But if the outdated items can be put into storage boxes, magazine holders, or up on top shelves of book shelves instead of stacked around the desk area, you will be able to work more effectively. When we sorted out the office items I found three staplers. How many does one desk need? One is quite enough and the others can be passed on to someone who can truly use them.
- Add Shelves or Cabinets – You really can never have enough storage in your home office area. But don’t try to pay full price for your added office storage – Pick up some inexpensive items at Goodwill for a fraction of the price and DIY them to match your colors.
- Organize Your Essentials Close at Hand – Use cute containers like repurposed items from Goodwill to keep the most commonly used items close at hand. What items do you use daily? Or several times a week? Those are the things you’re going to want to place near your central work station and then branch out from there.
- Make Sure You Have Plenty of Lighting – Like storage, it’s pretty common to have too little lighting in your office area. Set up task lighting for different areas of the office and different things that need to be done. Goodwill is a great place to look for added lighting at an excellent price. Find your nearest store with this handy locator.
- Add Your Personality, Inspiration, and Flair! Why do offices have to be sterile and boring? Add your own personal style with some new wall decor, potted succulents, or accent chairs for work-related reading. Bring in a pop of color and a breath of fresh air.
What better way to prepare yourself for the new year than to give your office a reboot. The mismatched items you are clearing out can be donated to your local Goodwill store, while also being the perfect place to pick up some new home office items on a budget!
Really, the ideas for what you can do with items from Goodwill are endless if you’re willing to have an open mind and think outside the box.
Share your favorite Goodwill finds for your home office on the hashtag #ShopGoodwill.