Homeopathy is based on the principle that “like cures like”: a substance that causes symptoms in large doses is used in very diluted doses to treat those same symptoms. The basic idea is to stimulate the body’s own natural healing ability with very diluted substances. This makes homeopathic remedies safe for the whole family.
In many cases, it is best to consult a qualified homeopath, but here are some remedies that are useful for everyday health problems at home or as a part of your homeopathy first aid kit. It is also a good idea to get a book on homeopathy (or check out an online remedy finder – I’ve used ABC Homeopathy) to choose the right remedy. One condition could have many possible remedies – I’m only sharing a few remedies that I have found useful in daily life.
1. Arnica: one of the most useful homeopathic remedies. Arnica is for bumps, bruises, injuries and shock. Arnica can be taken internally in cases of injury, shock, and trauma, and it also comes as a cream that is very helpful for everyday bumps and bruises.
There are a few other alternative remedies for injuries:
- Rhus tox is used for injuries that come from overstraining, as well as for pains that are better if you move and worse if you stay still.
- Hypericum perfoliatum is recommended for injuries that affect nerve-rich areas such as neck, toes, or fingertips.
2. Arsenicum album is for food poisoning, diarrhea, and vomiting. I carry this remedy whenever I travel. It works for me if I get traveler’s diarrhea or a stomach bug from contaminated food, or food that has gone off.
3. Apis mellifica is a remedy for bee stings and other insect bites. It is used to help relieve stings and bites that are red and swollen.
4. Belladonna is a good first aid remedy for sudden high fever in children. Belladonna symptoms include a flushed face, a red hot skin, dilated pupils, and a sudden onset of symptoms.
5. Nux vomica: this remedy is helpful in vomiting – such as after overindulgence in food or drink. It is also used for headaches. The patient that could benefit from Nux vomica tends to be irritable or angry and tense, and sensitive to noise and light.
When choosing homeopathic remedies, the choice is usually between two potencies: 6c and 30c. I have found 30C a good general potency for everyday remedies.
Remember that this article is not a substitute for medical advice – these are simply a few home remedies for natural “first aid.” In cases of serious illness or injuries or if in any doubt, you should always consult a medical professional.
These are just a few remedies I keep with me. There are many others: for example, Chamomile is said to be good for teething babies. Which homeopathic remedies do you use at home?