The college years are fun, and perfect for planning an awesome party. Parties centered on the birthday student’s new college, or a graduated adult’s alma mater university, can be simple to pull together and a big surprise. Is a teen going off to college? Has a son or daughter just been graduated? Does Grandpa still relive his University days? This birthday party theme idea can be adapted to many situations.
A university or college party theme works for anyone who is planning to attend college, who is in college, or who has graduated from a college or university – from high school aged teens to senior citizens. Of course, some of these ideas would also be good for a graduation party.
Birthday Party Planning Ideas with a University or College Theme
A college or university party can be planned as fancy or as casual as you like. Either way, it will be enjoyable for all.
- First, a venue can be chosen. Is there an appropriate room available at the student’s or alumni’s school? Other choices are at a home, a restaurant, or a community building.
- Next, invitations or “hold the date” cards can be sent out as soon as possible, especially for a larger affair. For a smaller party, oral or email invitations to hold the date are usually fine.
- The college bookstore (if not local, they may have an online store – even universities and colleges online) may have generic notecards or invitations imprinted with the school’s logo. If not, search for invitations in school colors, or they may be homemade.
- University bookstores often carry stickers or envelope labels, which may be used to seal envelopes or add to handcrafted cards.
Decorating Ideas for a College Themed Birthday Party
The college bookstore is, again, a good choice for shopping for decor. Just visiting the school can help you brainstorm ideas.
- Look for school pennants, flags, or banners.
- How about a big stuffed school mascot? Many colleges have animal mascots that are adorable. A memorable stuffed toy makes a great present as well, for all ages. Grown kids like to set them on dorm-room beds.
- Find party goods to match the colors, theme, and/or mascot.
- Balloons and streamers are a must as well. You may be able to find imprinted balloons with the university emblem. If not, solid colors are fine.
Food and Drink for a College Theme Party
Any foods will work for this theme. If it is in the budget, a caterer can be hired and the party can be as fancy, fun or elegant. Take into consideration the college style, the location, and the birthday person. Someone from a smaller school may enjoy a potluck or a backyard BBQ with hotdogs and hamburgers. A Harvard graduate having a 50th birthday may prefer more elegant fare.
Activities for a Birthday Party with a University Theme
Activities for this theme will vary widely depending on the ages of guest in attendance. Many ages may enjoy dancing, eating, playing games, and chatting. Checkers and card games appeal to most.
Games like Twister and Apples to Apples games (both available in most Target or Wal-Mart stores) may be more appropriate for teens and college students.
With older teens, college age students, adults and seniors, a party does not usually need a lot of extras. Simply providing a place to honor the birthday girl or guy (whatever their age may be), offering good food and drinks, and playing music is plenty. People will mingle, talk, laugh, and have fun.
Another article of interest may be Fun Teen Birthday Party Themes.
A website with more fun party planning ideas and themes are Best Fun Birthday Party Ideas and Articles.