This year is all about embracing the journey and I’ve been doing that a lot for myself, and trying to encourage you guys to do the same. One of the things I’m doing is stepping outside my comfort zone and tackling new ways of food preservation by canning at home without my mother-in-law helping me. I’ve had great success too! And I want to share that success and that encouragement with you guys.
All through the month of August, Untrained Housewife is hosting the Can it, Freeze it, Dry it challenge! At the end of the challenge someone will win a cool kit to help them towards their food preservation journey but let’s talk about the challenge first.
The rules are simple:
1. Get some food – preferably from your garden or a local source like you-pick farms or farmer’s market.
2. Preserve some of it for later – preferably in a way you’ve never tried before. Freeze something you’ve never frozen. Dehydrate something you’ve never dehydrated (garden fresh herbs anyone?), or can something you’ve never canned.
Here is an index of canning, freezing and other food preservation recipes on Untrained Housewife to help you get started.
The Prizes are Valued at over $50 and Include:
1. Embrace the Journey handmade copper penny necklace. Value $10
2. Yes You Can book by Daniel Gastieger. Value $13.16
3. Ball Blue Book of Canning. Value $9.33
4. Ball Home Canning Discovery Set. Value $10.88
5. One case Heritage Vintage Blue Jars by Ball Canning. Value $13.58
Leave a comment telling me what you are planning to do. Stay in touch with Untrained Housewife’s community and most importantly, snap a pic of what you’ve done so we can share your success!
You can write a blog post about what you did, or upload the pic on the Untrained Housewife Facebook page. Even if all you do is learn how to freeze pesto ice cubes you will have learned something new and we want to celebrate with you!
If you need canning supplies here are some of our favorites to take a look at.