Homemade Barbeque Sauce
3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp ground mustard
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add garlic and onion and saute until the onions are translucent.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk it all together.
4. Continue to stir frequently until your reached your desired consistency – about 10 minutes.
5. Let cool slightly, transfer sauce to a blender, and puree.
6. Use within one week or freeze for several months.
makes approx 2 cups
Variation: If it isn’t sweet enough for you, I find that it is really tasty (and sweet) if I add a 1/4-1/2 cup of honey right at the end.
Page One – Homemade Barbeque Sauce