Delicious as an alternative to tuna or cheese sandwiches made with bread in hot summer months, stuffed tomatoes are a delightful gluten-free alternative to other appetizers and sandwiches. Try large beefsteak tomatoes for main courses, smaller romas for sides, and cherry or plum sizes for appetizers.
Ingredients for Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
- 6-large round tomatoes cut in half.
- ½-onion chopped
- ½-head garlic chopped
- ½-teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½-teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- ½-teaspoon chopped fresh basil OR rosemary
- 2-tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 1-teaspoon apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup tuna-drained (optional), chopped boiled eggs, drained canned beans, or other protein of your choice
- Sliced or shredded cheese (optional)
Directions for Making Stuffed Tomatoes
1. Carefully scoop insides out of the tomatoes and place the guts in a bowl.
2. Add remaining ingredients except the cheese to the bowl and mix until well-incorporated.
3. Spoon back into the tomato shells and top with cheese if desired.
4. Either lightly toast in a 360-degree oven on a cookie sheet or serve as is.
When you find yourself with an abundance of tomatoes and are tired of making delicious BLT sandwiches (is such a thing possible?) this recipe is the perfect way to enjoy the bounty in a simple, and delicious recipe. The addition of eggs or tuna ups the protein level while the herbs enhance the flavor. Together, this makes a fully-balanced and deliciously-summer meal!
Go here to Submit a recipe of your own to the Eating Garden Fresh Guide.