1. The first thing you want to do is mix the flour, salt and cinnamon in a bowl and set it aside.
2. With an electric mixer, beat the two sticks of butter until it’s smooth (it only takes a minute or so). Add the powdered sugar to the butter and beat it together until it’s smooth (a couple of minutes — tops).
3. Add the teaspoon of vanilla extract and beat it into the butter/sugar mixture.
4. Pour the flour/cinnamon/salt mix into the butter mixture. Mix it lightly just un til it’s blended.
5. Scrape the dough together into a round ball and then flatten it a bit. Place it in a clan bowl and cover with plastic wrap (or simple wrap it in plastic wrap). Place it into the refrigerator to chill for an hour or two.
6. After the dough is firm, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper.
7. Roll shortbread dough out onto a lightly floured surface until it’s about 1/4″ thick. Use a small drinking glass (or cookie cutters) and dip the top onto flour, then make round (or shaped) cookies with it.
8. Place your baking sheets filled with cookies onto the middle rack in your oven. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes until they’re light brown. Cool them for a few minutes on a wire rack. This recipe makes just over 1 1/2 dozen cookies.
Back to page 1 for the ingredients.