This spray is how we achieve those voluminous beach waves on a shoe string budget. Remember that many sea-salt sprays are drying to the hair and pull out natural oils. This recipe contains natural oils to compensate for the drying effects of the salt in the spray. At about 1/50th of the cost of store brands, it is a steep bargain without the dangerous chemicals. If you decide to add tea for highlight effects, remember to keep it refrigerated.
- 2 cups filtered water (Or tea.)
- 4 tablespoons Epsom salt
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1 teaspoon organic and additive-free aloe vera gel or juice
- 1 teaspoon of the conditioner made in the recipe HERE (or conditioning carrier oil of choice)
- 10 drops essential oil for scent or medicinal purposes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (optional for lightening effects) plus 2 teaspoons vodka as a preservative
- Using a large glass bottle, add all of the ingredients together and put the lid on it.
- Shake it until all the salts are dissolved.
- Replace the lid with a sprayer device from a spray bottle.
- Shake before each use to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Use black tea to darken hair, chamomile tea (or lemon juice) to add highlights, colored henna tea to boost color, or neutral henna to boost hair thickness and health. (Be careful — all of these additions can stain clothing.)
- The mix will keep longer if stored in the refrigerator and even longer if you substitute ¼ to half of the water with vodka.
- If making it with hot tea, add the vodka and other ingredients after it cools to prevent alcohol burn-off from the heat.
How to Use:
- This is a volumizing scrunch spray. Apply to towel dried hair and scrunch. Allow to air dry or use a diffuser to add volume and increase effects.
- To create beached waves on flat, fine, or limp hair, apply to freshly washed hair at night and put hair in soft curlers, a bread, a twist, a bun, or a rag-do. Remove the curlers, braid, twist, bun, or rags in the morning and run your fingers through your hair for all day waves and curls. Spritz hair again if more stiffness is desired.