In this age of open liberalism, it’s often hard to find good quality family entertainment with a Christian influence. Hollywood and the Writer’s Guild of America, along with the news media and top national channels seem to bombard families with their own agenda at every turn.
How does a family choose what is safe and unsafe to watch on TV or at the theater?
It has become so difficult to discern what is and is not quality entertainment that many families just forego all forms of media altogether.
It doesn’t have to be that way. There is a Christian movie industry out there working to redefine quality family entertainment and create movies that inspire, uplift and challenge the multitudes to live by God’s standards and not the World’s. The following is a comprehensive review of currently available Christian films perfect for any family movie night.
Christian Movie Options
- October Baby – This is a movie about a college age girl who finds out she was adopted after her birth mother tried to abort her and yet she survived. Bewildered, angered, and confused, Hannah turns for support to Jason, her oldest friend. Encouraged by his adventurous spirit, Hannah joins his group of friends on a Spring Break road trip, embarking on a journey to discover her hidden past … and find hope for her unknown future. In the midst of her incredible journey, Hannah finds that life can be so much more than what you have planned.
- Facing the Giants – Produced by Sherwood Pictures and the Kendrick brothers, This movie is the story of a high school football coach who turns to God when everything seems to be going against him. Trusting God to do the impossible, the coach learns how faith plays out on the field … and off. Sherwood Pictures is a ministry of Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany,Georgia. They are one of the forerunners in the Christian Movie Industry and also produced Flywheel, Courageous and Fire Proof.
- Faith Like Potatoes – This is the true story of a South African farmer and missionary, Angus Buchan, who sets out to share his faith with those around him. As His love and faith for God grows so does the extent of his ministry to more than he could ever imagine.
- The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry – Best buddies Dustin, Albert and Mark are twelve year old boys looking forward to a summer of fun in 1970. When Dustin mows the lawn of seventy-five year old Jonathan Sperry,a man he has seen at church, a unique friendship develops. What happens the rest of this summer is something Dustin and his friends will never forget.
- What Would Jesus Do? WWJD? – The beginning of this movie is sad. A pastor, his pregnant wife and son embark on a road trip vacation. Tragically, in a moment, a car wreck takes the lives of his wife and children and he is left to pick up the pieces. When things begin to fall apart and all seems lost for this man, his church and his community, a drifter walks into town. Through his character, conversations and example, God uses this drifter to bring the hearts of the people back one by one.
- Letters to God – This is a movie about a boy, Tyler, who has terminal cancer and he begins to writing letters to God. To Tyler, God is a friend, a teacher and the ultimate pen pal—Tyler’s prayers take the form of letters, which he composes and mails on a daily basis, much like a child would write a letter to Santa and stick it in the mailbox. The letters find their way into the hands of Brady McDaniels, a beleaguered postman standing at a crossroads in his life. What happens next is truly inspirational.
- The Blind Side – This is a great movie and the true story of NFL football player Michael Oher. The story begins with Michael being a homeless teen who finds a friend and a new home with Leigh Ann Touhy and her family. It’s wonderful to see what one person or one family can do to impact the lives of others.
Where to find Christian Movies
Many of these movies can be found on Netflix. A few will be hard to find. However, check the local public and church libraries. It may be possible to borrow these movies for free. For those wishing to start their own family movie library or church library, check out ChristianCinema.com