6. A Waldorf blanket doll, $22. Part doll and part “blankie” this is a perfect baby’s first doll. Approximately 11 inches long with a face and hands that are made of non-toxic materials safe for teething, this doll is easy for an infant to move and interact with. Her embroidered face is minimalist to invite baby to imagine whatever expression on it she may. Waldorf toys encourage play through imagination.
7. Lollacup, $16. A new and improved sippy cup! This is the newest and smartest sippy cup on the market. It is made of BPA free materials is has a weighted straw in it so babies around nine months of age can learn to drink through a straw. This skill of drinking through a straw is an important motor skill which facilitates speech. Lollacup is also made in the USA!
8. Jingle Bells. Price ranges from DIY to $15. Just about any size and shape of bells with bring much joy to baby as she shakes them around. They can be in a box, in a rattle, on a stick, or on a piece of fabric. They can be large or small. What is most important is that they make sound easily as baby shakes them. Bells are great for motor skill development because they involve quite a bit of arm movement to create the sound.
9. Classic Baby Books. Price ranges from $5-15. Favorites include the bedtime story Goodnight Moon, the touch-and-feel book Pat the Bunny, and a lift-the-flap book Dear Zoo. When you read to baby exaggerate the words so she can look at the pictures in the book and at your lips as you read. This is how she begins to learn words. And, remember to choose the small board books so she does not rip the pages out of the books.
10. A gift certificate for parent and baby swim lessons at your local YMCA. Cost varies. The gift of a bonding and learning experience for mom and baby is a wonderful option and swim time for baby is one of the best activities for motor skill development and the prevention of obesity. Remember, they were in water before they were born so it is familiar to them. They develop a lot of strength in the water. Some swim schools allow unlimited practice time which provides fun outings during the week.
Back to Page 1