The teen years come quicker than you realize. With this new stage in parenthood, you might be wondering what you can encourage your teen to do in their spare time. Some parents have asked what their teens can do for cheap and fun hobby ideas, so I decided to create a list of ideas. This list of cheap and fun hobby ideas for teens may work for anyone teen who’s looking to have more fun all the while expanding on their current abilities.
What are typical teenage hobbies?
The typical teenager enjoys music, technology, and science. The good news is that each of these subjects are easily transformed into cheap and fun hobby ideas for teens. The best way to find out what your teen may enjoy is to keep an eye on what they enjoy currently. Teens who tend to listen to a lot of music may enjoy hobbies that focus on music. Teens who are adamant about tech may want to experiment with some fun coding classes or toys.
I’ve found with the use of the internet, teens can learn just about anything for free and at home. If you’re looking for a new hobby for your teen that won’t break the bank then you’ll enjoy finding this list of cheap and fun hobby ideas for teens. Whether your teen is more outgoing or a little more introverted, this list of hobby ideas for teens will have something for each personality style.
Cheap and Fun Hobby Ideas for Teens
Below you’ll find a list of ideas for teens to pick up as a new hobby. These hobbies will be budget-friendly and low-cost so that you won’t go broke encouraging your teen to find a new hobby this year.
- Reading – Give an Amazon GC and let them go crazy!
- Hiking, walking or bicycling – (We love geocaching when we go)
- Writing – If you have a kid who loves writing, consider this book by Beth Barany, Plan Your Novel Like a Pro. It’s a great mix of extremely helpful and accessible at the same time.
- Cooking and Baking – Outschool has some good options for classes if you aren’t comfortable in the kitchen yourself.
- Getting crafty – My son LOVES woodburning right now.
- Fixing things in the house – Get them a starter tool kit for themselves.
- Camping – If you don’t take your family camping you’re missing out. Grab a starter kit and head to the woods!
- Learning a new musical instrument – Get instruments for 0% interest here.
- Exercising – You know this is so important. Put on a good pair of running shoes and get moving!
- Fostering animals – We love to foster, adopt and help rescue animals.
- Learn a foreign language – Find fluent teachers on Outschool.
- Learn sign language – Outschool is another great place to learn with fluent speakers.
- Comedy skit writing and/or performing
- Pinterest how-to creator
- Learn calligraphy – I love Skillshare for online classes in a variety of topics including fancy handwritten lettering and calligraphy.
- Knit or crotchet – Fiber arts are amazing and you can learn the basics on Skillshare. All my kids knit or crochet.
- Design jewelry – Another great class available when you subscribe to Skillshare and your teen will learn to make their own gifts.
- Make candles or homemade soaps- I recommend the book, Beeswax Alchemy: How to Make Your Own Soap, Candles, Balms, Creams, and Salves from the Hive by Peter Ahnert.
- Learn to code- Such a great skill with invaluable benefits for a kid.
These 20 cheap and fun hobby ideas for teens should inspire you to come up with a list of ideas to give your teenager. These ideas can be expanded upon or tweaked a little to work in the best interest of your teen.
While I know every teen is different this list of ideas will work for both girls and boys as you work to inspire your teenager to pick up a new hobby, or two.
Did I leave something off the list? Let me know in the comments section. 🙂