Continuing with the article series on eco friendly household cleaners, here is the second article in which you could use the humble baking soda to clean and deodorize the home. Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is frequently used in baking (obviously!); however, it is also an effective cleaning agent and can be used to scrub away tough stains and grime.
Here are some simple and effective household cleaning tips with this kitchen product.
Cleaning With Baking Soda
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is more abrasive than vinegar and therefore, has a stronger effect.
Using Baking Soda to Clean the Kitchen
• Use a solution of 4 tablespoons of baking soda mixed with a ¼ cup of water to clean the insides of conventional and microwave ovens. This is also a general baking soda solution that can be used for most of the cleaning described below. For stubborn stains, leave it on for a while, before wiping clean with a damp cloth.
• Alternatively, for stubborn stains, heat the baking soda solution in a microwave-safe container for a few minutes. This would make the insides of the microwave damp with baking soda steam and allow you to wipe clean easily.
• Use the baking soda solution to wash the insides of your refrigerator. It would have the dual action of cleaning and deodorizing at the same time. You could also, place an open carton of baking soda in the fridge to act as a deodorizer.
• Odors in the trash can are also, removed or reduced by sprinkling baking soda at the bottom before putting in a liner.
• The area under the sink is also infamous for weird odors. This can be effectively taken care of by placing an open carton of baking soda under the sink.
• Baking soda can also be used to scrub clean pots and pans in the kitchen. The smells and tastes that tend to linger on in nonstick frying pans can be removed by scrubbing them with a paste of baking soda and water. Stains in these pans can be removed by boiling them in the baking soda solution given above and then rinsing well.
• Ashtrays, too, can be deodorized with a pinch of baking soda sprinkled in them once they have been emptied. Rinse the soda out with plain water.
Using Baking Soda to Clean Fabrics
• Rugs could be effectively deodorized by sprinkling dry baking soda on them and letting it stand for 20 minutes. Then brush the soda and the smell out.
• Clothes that reek of smoke or sweat can be soaked in a baking soda solution before washing to deodorize them.
• New mothers would benefit by using dry baking soda to scrub off the smell of baby spit up and vomit.
Baking soda is indeed an effective and easy way to clean up and deodorize. Reach for it the next time you want to scrub the oven,clean the fridge or deodorize the garbage can.