Breakfast- the most important meal of the day. Still, it can be tempting, especially on the weekends, to stray from healthy options. That’s okay from time to time, but too much straying can undo any good choices you’ve been making. What if there was an option that felt like a breakfast treat but was actually only about 230 calories and included whole grains? This Whole Grain French toast is fluffy, sweet, delicious, and yes, only 230 calories for 2 slices.
1/2 Cup Egg Whites
1/4 Cup 2% Milk
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Pod Container of Hazelnut Coffee Creamer (optional)
4 Teaspoons Low Fat Butter
8 Slices Whole Grain Bread
2 Teaspoons Powdered Sugar
2 Small Sliced Fresh Strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Whisk egg whites, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and creamer in small bowl.
4. Melt 1 teaspoon of the low fat butter in a skillet.
5. Dip 2 slices of the whole grain bread into the egg white mixture. Fully coat the bread and drip any excess egg mixture back into the bowl.
6. Cook approximately 2 minutes on each side.
7. Place the two browned pieces of toast on the baking sheet.
8. Repeat process for remaining pieces of bread.
9. Bake in oven for 5-6 minutes.
10. While toast is baking, slice the two fresh strawberries.
11. When the toast is done, drizzle your favorite syrup, top with fresh strawberries, and sprinkle with the powdered sugar.
This recipe only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish and serves 4. It’s delicious and feels like a treat, but with the whole grains, egg whites, and fresh fruit it’s a perfect weekend breakfast or brunch you can feel good about indulging in.