If you have found yourself with dry, frizzy, fuzzy, over-worked, brittle hair, you may just need a little oil from your pantry. Many people cook with extra virgin coconut oil, but have never used it for anything else.
By accident, I found that you could use the oil for many, many things aside from cooking. For instance, you can use it as a mouthwash. Did you know that? It is very good for your teeth and helps remove germs, bacteria, and toxins from your mouth while helping to make your teeth strong.
It is also spectacular as a deep conditioner. Who would have known? Actually, I am probably behind the times and lots of people knew that already.
Since I take long showers (about 20 to 25 minutes), I use the extra virgin coconut oil in the shower. You may be wondering what’s so great about it. I’ll give you a few examples below. Keep in mind, these are only the benefits that are associated with hair.
- The fatty acids in coconut oil penetrates the hair easily. Hair is hollow, and the coconut oil can get inside easily to fill up the hollow area.
- Since it works from the inside of each hair strand, it helps reduce the loss of internal moisture.
- It is naturally antibacterial.
- It is a natural antifungal and antimicrobial.
- It contains soothing properties.
- Relieves dandruff.
- High in antioxidants.
- Helps protect against heat and environmental damage.
- Keeps hair full.
- Stimulates blood circulation.
- Protects hair from falling out.
- …the list keeps on going.
As you can see, using extra virgin coconut oil as a deep conditioner is a win-win situation. As an added bonus, you can use it all over your entire body as a moisturizer, too!
My Method for Using Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
It is recommended that you use extra virgin coconut oil for deep conditioning once a week. Here are the steps I follow when I do this conditioning treatment.
- Get into shower and wet hair.
- Add 2 teaspoons full of extra virgin coconut oil to hair from scalp to ends.
- Shower as usual.
- After 10 to 20 minutes depending on how long you shower, rinse well.
- Shampoo one or two times.
- Add regular conditioner, if needed.
- Gently comb through hair from ends to roots.
- Rinse well.
- Towel dry.
- Style as usual.
Some people deep condition their hair before getting in the shower while others put it on, cover their hair, and sleep with it on their hair all night. You can decide what’s best for you.
Note: If you use the extra virgin coconut oil while wearing clothes or at bed, you should be aware it has an oily consistency and will stain.