Update – List has been updated! Please re-read the list and see what items you can help with.
Angela’s Note – This is my baby sister. My gorgeous baby sister that was the first blessing in our family after my parents chose to give God control of their fertility. Paula Joy is now 18 – can you believe it! – and has a tender heart for the Lord. She’ll be leaving on a trip next month with the nudging on her heart that this could turn into a long-term calling on her life. I’m so proud of what the Lord is doing in her life and touched by the compassion she has for these children. I asked her to tell her story here and hope that you will support her in any way you can. Read her story……
Ever since I was a little girl I felt God put a calling on my heart for missions. Little did I know that He’d be calling me out of the country and into the jungle of Ecuador for two weeks this summer. I will be leaving in May and arrive in Quito which is the capital of Ecuador. I won’t be getting back til June.
My team and I will be working with the organization Jungle Kids For Christ which is a school and orphanage. Many of the children live there full-time. In the mornings we will be building a 5 meter by 5 meter house for two volunteers to stay in while they are teaching. In the evenings, my team and I will be doing VBS for the surrounding area.
We will finish up the week in Pusuno with a boat ride down the river to see the Waodani village. If you’ve ever seen The End of the Spear it is a movie based off of several Christian missionaries that were martyred for sharing their faith by this Waodani tribe. Among the five martyrs were the well-known missionaries Jim Elliot and Nate Saint.
The second week we will be doing a VBS for a couple days in Quito for all the children there. My team and I will also hopefully be working at the day care there in the city. We would play with the kids, build them book shelves, and do some painting. Throughout the two weeks we are in Ecuador we will be handing out bracelets with penny crosses on them that we are making ourselves.
I am collecting school supplies and toys for the orphanage and school. My team and I also need to raise $2,500 for the building costs. Please be in prayer for the safe travel of my team and God preparing hearts and if, for me personally, this is where God is calling me to go for a year to serve and teach about Him.
I am hoping these two weeks will help me better understand if God is calling me to long-term service in this region! If you’d like to help or find out more please check out the links below.
To help support my team and I you can donate via Kidworth.
To learn more about Jungle Kids For Christ.
Angela Again- Here are some of the items the school and orphanage need:
- Spanish/English Bibles (40) (These are pricey to buy but extra money donated beyond the cost of GETTING to Ecuador will go towards the purchase of these Bibles. If anyone has a contact that could potentially donate these, please let me know)
- Nice shaving razor and refills (again, hard to find there)
- Floor Rugs/Bath Mats
- Rubber mats for bathroom areas
- Hand Cranked LED Flashlights (Batteries are too expensive)
Plates (for 25 people)Secured, Thanks! Utensils (for 25 people)Secured, Thanks!
- Drawer pulls
- Furniture wheels
- 5 qt. pot
- Kitchen cooking utensil sets (for the school director’s new home for he and his wife and kids)
- Kids cooking utensils
- Organizational baskets for rooms (metal preferred)
- Step stools
- Bar stools (full size chairs take up a lot of space)
- Pens, pencils, and crayons
- Individual White Boards 8″ by 11″ (40)
- White Board Markers (Tons of them).
- Individual white boards (8″ x 11″ approx.)
- Notebooks (Mainly with graph paper for math class) Large and small (100pg or more). We need about 40.
- Thick pencils for Kindergarten
Construction Paper(Thanks Carolina Pad!) Writing paper for kids(Thank you Caroline Pad!)
- Card Stock
- Hole punchers
- Paper cutter
- Lanyards (Nametag holders or Nametags)
- Lamination Machine
- Quality Copy Machine
- Kids play rugs
- Train set/accessories
- Play tunnels/Tents
- Any toys would be great! (batteries are rare and pricey so non-battery toys like puzzles, felt boards, etc)
- Also hard candies (that won’t melt in transit) are a huge treat to the kids and prohibitively expensive.
Paula would love to bring a suitcase full of school supplies and then another full of toys (maybe two full of toys). One for the orphanage and the other for the school and VBS kids. And another with home-good type supplies of items that aren’t easy to get like flashlights, floor coverings, and drawer knobs.
It’s easier to bring items into the country when they are brought in by a person traveling into the region because the post is unreliable and the mission school actually is too far out to get mail. The plan to send everything with Paula’s group on the flight. So this is our chance to shower much-needed blessings onto the community!
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Companies that can provide donated items will be promoted on Untrained Housewife channels free of charge, in gratitude.
Companies/Brands Committed to Donations:
MAMBaby USA – Pacifiers, Toothbrushes, and Oral Care Products
Hallmark – Spanish language recordable storybooks (Perfect for the school!)
Carolina Pad – Construction paper pads and kids writing paper.