This delicious lasagna recipe takes advantage of summer menu items like grilling and garden fresh tomatoes. Easily prepare ingredients the day before by tossing Applewood Smoked Turkey Sausage and garden fresh tomatoes on the barbeque with your dinner items for that day, then throw this easy lasagna together the next day for a delightful, smokey lasagna treat.
Turkey and Goat Cheese Ingredients
- 1 package Applewood Smoked Turkey Sausage
- 1 head grilled garlic
- 1 bulb grilled onion
- 1 grilled bell pepper (preferably red or yellow, they are sweeter)
- 1 cup Fresh, raw spinach leaves
- 1 pound Chevre
- 1 pound feta crumbled (or mild white cheese of your choice, even ricotta or cottage will work.)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese.
- 2 cups worth grilled tomatoes, peeled
- 2 tbs Italian Seasoning OR
1 tsp raw Basil
1 tsp raw Thyme
1 tsp raw Marjoram
1 tsp raw Rosemary
1 tsp raw Sage
1 tsp raw Oregano
Other Ingredients and Supplies
- 2 packages of lasagna noodles
- 1- 8×12 Glass baking pan
- Aluminum foil
- Extra large soup pan for cooking the noodles
- Plastic wrap
- Bowls and plates to arrange ingredients
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Knife and Cutting board
- Kitchen assistants ages 5 and up
Here is what to do:
- A day or two before putting together this lasagna, toss the sausage, whole tomatoes, whole bell pepper, whole garlic bulb, and whole onion on the barbeque. Grill to perfection and refrigerator at least over night.
- Peel the tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Chop the bell pepper, onions, and garlic up using a knife or hand cranked food chopper. Crush the tomatoes using your hands. Set aside.
- Using the mandolin, slice the sausage into fine medallions. Set aside.
- Place dried herbs in a bowl and add 3 tablespoons hot water. OR, add raw herbs to a bowl and chop up into a course mixture using scissors to preserve the best flavor.
- Gently toss together the vegetables and spices until the sauce forms. Allow to rest while cooking the noodles.
- Cook the noodles al-dente according to package directions.
- Prep pan by coating with butter, oil, or non-stick spray.
- Sieve off some tomato juice from the sauce and pour enough to lightly coat the bottom of the pan before layering noodles.
- Begin layering the lasagna by laying down a layer of noodles, a conservative player of sausage, then chopped raw spinach, then the crumbles cheese, then sauce. Repeat this process until all ingredients are used up. Follow the final layer of noodles with sauce and cheese.
- If saving this dish for later, cover it with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and place n the fridge, if desiring to freeze it, use an aluminum pan. It preserves better at this stage.
- Bake lasagna in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour or until cheese melts and begins to lightly toast on the top.
- Allow to cool for about 15 to 30 minutes before serving to allow the ingredients to solidify. Serve 4 to 8.