Traditional macaroni or potato salads are not a family favorite in my household, so I try to find ways to help my family enjoy the classics anyway. This recipe is a big hit with my cranberry-loving stepson. It pairs perfectly with chicken or turkey, too. For a delicious lunch or dinner spin, fold in 1 cup chopped turkey or chicken for a one-dish meal that really satisfies.
- 4 cups dry elbow macaroni, cooked, rinsed, and drained*
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced apple (green, Fuji, or gala)
- 1/4 cup minced red onion, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes, drained
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, soaked overnight in apple cider and drained
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon Thyme, Rosemary, OR Cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons raw honey
- 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider (what was drained off the cranberries is fine)
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, spices, honey, cider vinegar, sour cream, salt, and pepper using a whisk until smooth and creamy.
2. Using a wooden spoon, gently fold in the celery, apple, red onion, walnuts, and cranberries.
3. Finally, gently fold in your choice of regular macaroni, gluten-free macaroni, or (8 cups) boiled cubed potatoes. Alternatively, try cooked rice, or any other grain of your choice.