I love this recipe for using cabbage. You can also use the leaves of Kohlrabi as a substitute for some of the cabbage, perhaps half-and-half. I’ll give the recipe the way it’s written on my notecard and then give you some of the variations I make.
- 1/2 green cabbage – shredded
- 1/2 red cabbage – shredded
- 6 green onions – sliced thin
- 1 carrot – grated
- 6 TB sesame seeds
- 1 C slivered almonds
- 1 package Ramen noodles – crunched and broken
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1/3 Cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 Cup honey
- 1-2 tsp salt (we use sea salt ground)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
1) Mix cabbage, onions and carrots in large bowl.
2) Toast almonds and sesame seeds on cookie sheet for at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
3) Combine all dressing ingredients with a whisk to mix.
4) When ready to serve add nuts, seeds, noodles and dressing to cabbage mixture and serve well-tossed.
Prep time 30 minutes. Serves 6 as a side dish.
We double this recipe to serve this as a full meal. You can add shredded chicken to the mix if you want a way to use leftover chicken pieces. We have also substituted kohlrabi for carrots and sunflower seeds for the almonds and sesame seeds.
The sweet and sour dressing makes this a fabulous salad, and since cabbage can be grown through the fall (and winter in mild areas) it makes a fabulous choice for fresh eating in the off season.