Canning intimidates me. I’ve been told many times that is SHOULDN’T…. but alas, I’m still intimidated.
Enter the refrigerator pickle.
We had a bumper crop of cucumbers this year and I didn’t know what to do with them. I learned about refrigerator pickles and I haven’t looked back. They are simple, quick and the best part is that they are delicious.
Easy and Delicious Refrigerator Pickles
1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dill seed
1 bay leaf for each jar of pickles
1 small onion, sliced thin
4-5 cucumbers – sliced (I use this mandolin. It works great and is affordable.)
1. Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and dill in a bowl. Mix well.
2. Divide the cucumbers and onions up between your jars.
3. Add a bay leaf to each jar.
4. Pour your vinegar mixture over the cucumbers.
5. Put your tops on and shake it up. You’re done. These will keep in the fridge for at least a month but I’ve heard of them keeping for much longer. I wouldn’t know, ours are gone well before the end of the month.