The sudsing and foaming of commercial shampoos are actually created by dangerous chemicals that destroy your hair and kill your scalp. This no-poo shampoo recipe is simple enough and contains none of the waxes and oils that shampoo companies use to hide the chemical burn damage of their products. If you have baby fine, coarse, oily, or dry hair, this recipe should work for you. If not, follow the final recipes at the end of this article for a simpler way to wash, condition, and style every day. These recipes are not tear free, so be careful. Using the Castile soap by itself can be drying and make hair feel sticky.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup homemade coconut milk
- 2/3 cup organic liquid castile soap (One that is chemical additive free.)
- 1 drop vitamin E oil
- 10 drops essential oil (Pick out 1 to 3 kinds that are for your hair type and skin condition.)
- 1 drop almond, olive, or sunflower oil (Optional for extremely dry or badly damaged hair. I dont use it because I have very oily hair.)
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- Combine water and guar gum in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir continuously until it comes to a full boil. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients in the following order: Oil, Milk, Soap, then Essential Oils.
- Allow to cool fully before putting it in a plastic (melt-able) bottle.
- Use a funnel to pour it into a clean, empty shampoo bottle or condiment bottle.
- This recipe should cost under $1 per bottle and last a family of four about a month. You only need to use about a teaspoon.
- Consider diluting it in a foamer bottle according to the directions. You can also use this foam as a hand soap, shaving cream, or body wash!
- For oily or fine hair, leave off the conditioning oils and reduce the essential oils to three drops or less.